Saturday, February 28, 2015

Stitched Has Started!

Stitched 2015 is now open!
I am so happy to be a part of this extraordinary group of instructors.

Today I wanted to share with you a little bit about how I came to know of Alma Stoller.

A few years ago I was in a bit of a sewing slump.
Now I can sew.  I have a degree in Fashion from Ryerson so really, I understand the concept of sewing and design.  However, I just didn't seem to have any interest in making anything.
That did not stop me from collecting fabrics and fibers though.
My stash of vintage laces, ribbons and all types of fabrics was quickly overflowing a closet.
I needed something.
A new interest.
That is when Alma came into my life.
I saw the announcement for her online fabric bead class and signed up without giving it a second thought.
I looked forward to each any every post and video.
Alma introduced me to the concept of hand sewing.  
Simple stitches and fun.
I was hooked.
In the last several years nothing has brought me more joy or relaxation than the act of hand stitching.
Let me share with you some of the beads and fun objects I made after learning Alma's techniques.
 Her workshop on fabric beads had me making these for weeks at a time.
I use all the bits and bobs in my stash now.
Some I make just to admire.  I keep these in an acrylic box.
This is what I sometimes do with the beads.
In this case I used a vintage fabric and ribbon to make a set that I wear together.
Felting became a favorite for hand stitching as well.
 This is what I do if I find a vintage salesman collection of ribbon.  I make something beautiful out of every inch.
There are no limits or critiques needed.  Just stitch.
I think you can see my theme here.  The black ribbon was the inspiration.
I love the green hues in this group.
I especially love one of a kind square beads.  Her pattern for them is brilliant.
Every time I finish a bead I am completely satisfied and grateful I came across Alma in my Internet travels.

If these projects have inspired you I would encourage you to either sign up for our big Stitched Year of classes or sign up for Alma's special fabric beads class that I also linked here.

Stitched 2015

1 comment:

  1. Carmi and Alma! These are fantastic! Carmi, I love the olive/green hues necklace and the vintage ribbon necklace! Everything you made is beautiful, but those 2 are right-up-my-alley!...I would wear them everyday. Ok, I know I have a lot of 'bits' around the crafting room that could be put to use, so I need to check into this technique further! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete